Friday, June 18, 2010

I am thankful that I can see!

The past couple of days I have been thinking about Bruce and everything that he went through with his eyes back when he was on his mission. The past couple of days my eyes have really been hurting but I thought it was just allergies. So I just put regular eye drops in and occasionally I would put some ice on my eyes. This did not help at all and eventually my left eye got to the point that I couldn't even open it. I decided I had to go to the doctor! He looked at my eyes and found that I have a Corneal Ulcer. Somehow my contacts had gotten an infection and this spread into my eye. The doctor gave me pain pills and eye drops. The eye drops have to be put in every hour and are so painful that I need to also take pain pills. I also have a cream that I have to put in my eye and I have to go to the eye doctor every day so they can check and make sure that it gets better not worse. I can't even imagine how Bruce was able to be in another country having all of his eye problems. It has made me very thankful the past couple of days.
I am thankful that...
  • This is treatable and that it should not harm my vision. ( since I don't have the best in the first place)
  • That I was able to go to the doctor before the ulcer got bigger.
  • That I am able to have eye drops and creams instead of shots or surgery!
  • I am grateful for sunglasses! Because my eyes are very sensitive to the sun right now.
  • I am thankful that in about 2 weeks this should go away and I should be able to wear contacts again.

3 comments:

Jewel said...

Yes. . . I'm also grateful that you are in AMERICA and have the option to have eye drops, creams and a good doctor to help with this infection. Jessica has also had a infection in her eye in the past and it did take some time to clear up. Bruce did have an amazing experience on his mission and it's still a miracle that he has his eye sight and healed with a lot of prayers and blessings. We will also pray for you and hope that time will go quickly until you are feeling better. Sunglasses are COOL until then. Thanks for sharing.

Suzette said...

We are so sorry to hear that you have a ulcer in your eye. That dose not sound good at all kind of makes me want to take out my contacts right now and wear my glasses. We are glad for the eye drops and treatment that you are getting and hope and pray that the infection will clear soon. Good Luck and we will see you soon! Love ya Tons!

Anonymous said...

Oh Elaine. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I had the same thing when I was in junior high but instead it was in both eyes.
If I have any advice it would just be keep putting those eye drops in and wear those sunglasses. It will get better but it takes time. I'll be praying for you. Love you!